A Year In The Life Of Whitstable
A HUGE thank you to our Supporters
Diane Griffiths | Jason Hick | Alex Hughes | Matt Linehan | Bernie Plaister
365: A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF WHITSTABLE is community photography project designed to record a year in the life of Whitstable during the course of 2013 through 365 photographs, one for each day of the year, taken by the residents.
The project shows the different views, styles and feelings of Whitstable, Kent from different photographers; with images featuring people, events and places around them. The project aims to capture the hidden Whitstable too; the activities that not everyone notices or gets a chance to see. Creating a diary for today and a record for the future.
It is by no mean a full records of events in Whitstable, it is not either about recording the good bits only. It is about all aspects of life in Whitstable as perceived by the people who took the photos (mainly residents).
A Year in the Life… aims to motivate people to get involved in something they are passionate about: the area they live in.
The project will run from the 1st January to the 31st December 2013, with photographs being taken every day of the year.
It will culminate in an exhibition during the summer 2014 at the Whitstable Museum and Gallery featuring the final 365 photographs. A book will be produced if fundings allow.
The goals of the 365 project are to:
- Create a sense of community, and a sense of place; for Whitstable’s residents and tourists;
- Act as a platform for the town’s residents to express what is important to them;
- Bring people and communities together;
- Encourage participation in civic life;
- Make people feel better about where they live;
- Get residents to learn more about where they live;
- Increase people’s participation in photography and the arts;
- Help people improve their photographic skills;
- Raise awareness of local artistic talent;
- Give an opportunity to photographers to showcase their work and get published, via the 365 exhibition, book and calendar;
- Attract a wide and varied audience;
- Motivate visitors to explore the region;
- Keep a historical, social and cultural record of life
The 365 photographs will then be exhibited in the Whitstable Museum in 2014.
How it works
- Anybody can take part.
- Subjects can cover anything: street scenes, buildings, portraits, landscape, wildlife etc…
- A Judging panel will be assembled to judge photographs entered into A Year in the Life.
- To know how to submit your photographs, read the How to take part section.
- The best photographs will be included in the Kent Photo Library collection offering sale opportunities to photographers, and helping with funding the project.
As the project evolves:
- Look at some of the photographs submitted so far for Whitstable on Flickr
- Join our communityon our Flickr Group A Year in the Life of Whitstable. Here you can showcase other photos of Whitstable and get feeback from users.
- Follow us on Twitter @365_projects.
- Like our page on Facebook.
- For any further information, get in touch directly with Emma Bowles or Nathalie Banaigs.