A Year In The Life Of Whitstable
A HUGE thank you to our Supporters
(for information about corporate partnership with the project click HERE)
Jason Hick | Alex Hughes | Matt Linehan | Bernie Plaister
Lady Moira Swire | Bill Croydon, CBE
“Well done you for an imaginative way of involving the people of our part of Kent in recording their lives past and present. Congratulations on your success.” | Lady Moira Swire
“Against all the stresses, strains and burdens of modern life, here is an initiative that focuses on all the good things in the town. (…) Recognition produces feel-good factors and, undoubtedly, fosters loyalty and respect for the town and its people.
I urge you strongly to grasp this opportunity to participate in and to contribute to a project which, as far as I am aware, has been an outstanding success everywhere else it has been held. Don’t spoil the ship for a hap’th of tar! It’s a great community initiative, which can only be good for the town, its businesses and its people. Go for it!” | Bill Croydon, CBE
365: A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF WHITSTABLE is community photography project designed to record a year in the life of Whitstable during the course of 2013 through 365 photographs, one for each day of the year, taken by the residents.
The project shows the different views, styles and feelings of Whitstable, Kent from different photographers; with images featuring people, events and places around them. The project aims to capture the hidden Whitstable too; the activities that not everyone notices or gets a chance to see. Creating a diary for today and a record for the future.
It is by no mean a full records of events in Whitstable, it is not either about recording the good bits only. It is about all aspects of life in Whitstable as perceived by the people who took the photos (mainly residents).
A Year in the Life… aims to motivate people to get involved in something they are passionate about: the area they live in.
The project ran from the 1st January to the 31st December 2013, with photographs taken every day of the year.
It will culminate in an exhibition during July and August 2014 at the Whitstable Museum and Gallery featuring the final 365 photographs. A book will also be produced.
The goals of the 365 project are to:
- Create a sense of community, and a sense of place; for Whitstable’s residents and tourists;
- Act as a platform for the town’s residents to express what is important to them;
- Bring people and communities together;
- Encourage participation in civic life;
- Make people feel better about where they live;
- Get residents to learn more about where they live;
- Increase people’s participation in photography and the arts;
- Help people improve their photographic skills;
- Raise awareness of local artistic talent;
- Give an opportunity to photographers to showcase their work and get published, via the 365 exhibition, book and calendar;
- Attract a wide and varied audience;
- Motivate visitors to explore the region;
- Keep a historical, social and cultural record of life
As the project evolves:
- Look at some of the photographs submitted so far for Whitstable on Flickr
- Join our community on our Flickr Group A Year in the Life of Whitstable. Here you can showcase other photos of Whitstable and get feedback from users.
- Follow us on Twitter @365_projects.
- Like our page on Facebook.
- For any further information, get in touch directly with Emma Bowles or Nathalie Banaigs.